Last Updated on July 14, 2021 by Sara Taylor
Wanting to install Flash on your iPhone 4? Well, now you can, because an alpha version named Frash can help you do that. This iPhone 4 version of Flash has been developed by the same person behind the recent JailbreakMe tool, for removing app restrictions on your iOS devices.
This version of Flash works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod and iPad with OS version 3.2.1. It also works on iPhone 4 running the 4.0.1 patch. One last thing before you try this Flash installation: keep a back-up of important data just in case anything goes wrong and your iPhone malfunctions.
That out of the way, here are the steps in which you can put Flash a.k.a. Frash on your iPhone 4:
1. This is a prerequisite as much as a part of the process: you need to jailbreak your iPhone first. This quite easy, and if you haven’t done it yet, the JailbreakMe tool can help you crack open your iOS 4 iPhone device within minutes. If you are unwilling to jailbreak your iPhone, then reading further is pretty pointless, because the whole process is possible only on a jailbroken device.
2. On the jailbroken iPhone install the OpenSSH app by downloading it with the help of Cydia. Once installed, reboot your phone.
3. Then connect the device to your computer but make sure that iTunes is not running. Download and install Cyberduck for Mac and WinSCP for Windows.
4. Once done, login to your iPhone using your i-device IP address, username ‘root’ and password ‘alpine’. These three will be the same for both Cyberduck and WinSCP, but in the protocol field, you have to input SFTP for Mac and SCP for Windows.
5. Next download the Frash-0.02.deb from the Grant Pannell website (link). Create a folder named Cydia in the /var/root/Media directory and another folder named AutoInstall within Cydia. Copy the downloaded file in this folder.
6. Restart your iPhone and you should be able to browse any Flash based site easily! If you find text titled ‘Flash’ on the website, click on it and the content should be visible.
Congrats on installing Flash on iPhone 4! Use this to visit all the great sites you have missed out on so far!
Note: Frash works on Apple iPad, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. You cannot install frash / flash on iPod touch 2g, iPod touch 3g or iPhone 3G.