Last Updated on July 1, 2021 by David Baddeley
The Firefox private network with which it intends to protect all its users is now operational and that is why we are going to tell you everything you need to know about this new VPN .
Obviously this is a very important service to be covered by Firefox, since every day users are more concerned about their privacy and security, something logical in these times. Without a doubt, having a service of this type is good news, at least a priori.
What is a VPN?
The VPN stands for Virtual Private Network , that is, virtual private network, making it quite clear that we are talking only by reading the name. This is a service that has been in the market for years, but has recently become very fashionable among users.
We already know the way your computer acts to be connected, that is, this device communicates with the router and this in turn with the Internet provider that we have contracted. Well, what a VPN connection does is create a virtual network in which privacy is the maximum, since no one will be able to know which pages you are visiting or where you are entering, not even the Internet service provider itself. Our connection becomes encrypted , so security is even more guaranteed.
The advantages we have with a VPN network are many and we can put several examples of them:
- For work , since a network of workers of a same company can access their private network, without anyone external to endanger their security. They will be able to send documents or perform any other action on a network without danger.
- Blocks of web pages that do not work in our country can be avoided , since VPNs from other countries can be chosen.
- The security is one of its main strengths because everything is done in the VPN is encrypted.
- When downloading any type of content, such as a torrent through a P2P server, there will be no trace left, since we are still on our private network.
The first thing we have to make clear is that this service is not currently available to everyone , but is only available, for now, in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Singapore, Malaysia and New Zealand. According to the company, it won’t take long to see this service in other places, including Europe and of course Spain.
Mozilla already announced at the end of 2018 that it was working on its own VPN service, introducing it as an extension for US users soon after. With this move, the company wanted everything to do with the VPN to be totally separate from the development of the browser, so that one thing did not interfere with the other.
The technology behind Mozilla VPN is based on the WireGuard encryption protocol , a protocol that uses state-of-the-art cryptography and that provides advantages such as not requiring personal information from customers or having compatibility with OpenVPN and IPv6, among others. This new Firefox VPN runs on a global network of servers powered by Mullvad , which is also based on the OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols. Both the Android and Windows client are integrated into the same Mullvad network, while the browser extension uses Cloudflare’s network , one of the two DNS-over-HTTPS providers for Firefox.
Thanks to this VPN we will have at our disposal more than 750 servers in more than 30 countries , encryption at the level of each device and without any type of restriction due to the bandwidth used, which is excellent news for those who do not it has a very fast connection.
Activate Mozilla VPN
If you are from one of the countries that already work with this system, you can activate it on different devices. In any case, the moment it arrives in Europe and therefore in Spain, the activation system will be the same.
Activate in Windows
The steps to follow are as follows:
- We open the Mozilla VPN .
- We entered with our Firefox account (only the first time).
- We must click on the activated or deactivated button (if it is in blue, it is activated).
- From the Connection menu we can choose the location of the server, so we will change the country.
Activate on Android
To achieve this on Android, the steps are very simple and similar to the previous ones.
- The first thing will be to open the Mozilla VPN application .
- Next, we must press the Turn on to protect your privacy button to start protecting the device. If the button turns green it means that it has been activated.
Activate on iOS
We can also activate it in models such as iPhone or iPad to protect our privacy and be more secure.
- First, we open Mozilla VPN.
- After that we are going to press the button Turn on to protect your privacy and in this way we will begin to be protected, yes, we will only be protected from the moment that button turns green.
The current price of the service is $ 4.99 per month for those countries where it works. Surely at the moment in which it is incorporated to other territories, additional promotions and discounts will appear. What the company has committed to is that within this price it will never allow access to the network to any third-party data analysis platform.
Currently the compatibility is focused on Windows, Android and iOS , leaving for later the integration in macOS and Linux.
With everything we have told you today, you are already informed of everything that happens with VPN Mozilla and its possible arrival in Spain, which we cannot assure if it will be imminent or will still have to wait, since there is no information about the company in that theme.