what are the differences and what does each one offer
We are going to explain the differences between Windows 11 and Windows 11 SE , two of the available versions of the Windows 11 family of operating systems . Windows 11 SE is a new version of the operating system aimed at education and low-cost devices, and in its operation there are some important differences compared to normal Windows 11.
We are going to focus this article mainly on Windows 11 SE. We will start by telling you its differentiating characteristics with respect to Windows 11. Then, we will briefly talk about the differences that these characteristics entail, and the contexts for which each version is intended.
Differences between Windows 11 SE and Windows 11
The main difference from Windows 11 SE is that it is an operating system designed for the educational field . This means that it is more closed than Windows 11, and that users do not have as much control. It is designed so that the computer equipment of a school can adapt them to the little ones, preventing them from having the distractions that may exist in a complete operating system.
These are the differentiating features of Windows 11 SE compared to the full version of Windows 11:
- Not for sale : Windows 11 SE will not be released for regular computers. Only manufacturers will be able to install it on their specific equipment for education.
- For less powerful computers : The system is designed for specific computers designed for it, low cost and with little power. It has been optimized to work with 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage.
- No connection outside of school : When students leave school, their computers will not have a persistent connection. They will be able to work offline, and when they return to school everything they have done will be synced through OneDrive.
- Applications in full screen mode : They will always open like this, and up to two applications can be used at the same time.
- Fewer layouts : They are reduced from 6 to two, to show only those of two applications at a time.
- Simplification of settings : Many sections of the application configuration will be simplified.
- No widgets : Windows 11 SE does not have a widget section so as not to distract students.
- Edge with Chrome extensions by default : This mode will not have to be activated, it will be by default so that there are no problems using Chrome extensions.
- Automatic backups: Documents will be automatically backed up to OneDrive.
- Limited installation of apps : Apps can be installed, but it will be the ICT administrators of the schools who decide which applications are installed on each computer.
- Lower consumption : It is designed to consume less battery, and that Windows SE computers have autonomy for the whole day.
A Windows just for education
As you can see, Windows 11 SE is not intended for you to use at home , or for use on conventional computers. It has a very specific approach to the educational field, for which they reduce what can be done with it to avoid the distractions of the students. It is also designed for low-cost computers, a way to compete with Chromebooks.
It will not go on sale nor will you be able to acquire it to install it on your computer or laptop, new or old. It will only be available to authorized manufacturers, so that a new range of products will be launched, headed by Microsoft’s Surface Laptop SE , and also focused on the educational field.
So you don’t have to worry too much about the differences between Windows 11 and Windows 11 SE, simply because you won’t be able to use Windows 11 SE . At most, if your children’s school decides to bet on it, they may be given one of the laptops with this system, but nothing more.
And if that is the case, you will not be able to use it more than in the educational field, since the installation of applications will be limited and you will not be able to use many apps at the same time. Everything is designed to avoid unwanted distractions at school, and that it is the educational center that has control of what is done with it.