Last Updated on August 12, 2021 by David Baddeley
For a few days, Microsoft has already allowed users to download and install the first beta version of Windows 11 for free .
Windows 11 is scheduled to release between fall and early 2022. Microsoft has just released the beta version of Windows 11 which is expected to have bugs and glitches (obviously). This is why it is not at all recommended to download the Windows 11 beta on your work or regular PC.
If you want to venture out and install the Windows 11 beta, keep reading.
How to download and install the Windows 11 beta
To download and install Windows 11 on your PC, follow these steps:
- The first thing you have to do is sign up for Windows Insider if you haven’t done it before. To do this, access this link and follow the registration steps. You just have to log in with your email and accept the terms and conditions .
- Open Windows Insider by accessing it from the start menu and typing “Windows Insider.”
- In the dialog box you will see a text to obtain Windows 11. Click on “start” .
- Select your Microsoft account and click “continue” to link it.
- In the dialog box select “confirm” until it asks you to restart the operating system. Restart the device.
- Go back into Windows Insider and now the dialog will be different. In the “Choose your insider configuration” section you will see the option “Version preview channel”. If you see this, everything went fine.
- Now go to “Windows Update” and click on “Check for updates” . You will see the first version of Windows 11, 22000.51 and you can install it like any update.
Return from Windows 11 to Windows 10
It is important that you know that it is not easy to return to Windows 10 after installing the Windows 11 beta. The “recovery” or “reset pc” options will not work for you. The recovery partition will no longer be able to restore the operating system to the version of Windows you had before. If you want to go back to Windows 10 you will have to reinstall Windows 10 version 21H1 using the Media Creation Tool or a Windows 10 iso.
Minimum system requirements for Windows 11
The minimum system requirements for the correct operation of Windows 11 are the following:
|Processor:||1 giga Hertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores in a supported 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC)|
|RAM:||4 gigabyte (GB)|
|Storage:||64GB or larger storage device Note: For more information, see “More information about storage space requirements to keep Windows 11 up to date” below.|
|System firmware:||UEFI, Supports Secure Boot|
|TPM:||Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0|
|Graphic card:||DirectX 12 or later compatible with WDDM 2.0 driver|
|Screen:||High definition display (720p) over 9 ″ diagonal, with 8-bit channel per color|
You can check all the Windows 11 specifications or minimum requirements in detail in the official Microsoft documentation.